I’d like to welcome you into the mind of a completely neurotic pregnant person. It seems like everyday as I’m getting over one ridiculous fear, a new one pops up. They mostly revolve around food/meds/things I’ve ingested (surely you’re familiar with Margarita-gate), plus activities/movement. The other night when I was awake from 3 to 5am for no reason, I compiled a list of my recent Google searches from memory (I have to periodically erase my google history out of sheer embarrassment of what goes through my head).
– Is it safe to eat Caesar dressing when pregnant? (I LOVE Caesar dressing. I ordered a Caesar salad not thinking the other night at a restaurant, ate half of it, then started to panic not knowing if it was made with raw eggs. That’s always how it goes. It’s after the fact.)
-safe to eat Tiramisu when pregnant? (same as above, due to the small amount of booze)
-safe to ingest caffeine during pregnancy?
-how long to heat deli meat in microwave when pregnant?
– mayonnaise during pregnancy? (still eat almost everyday regardless of safety)
-How loud is a loud bar in decibels?
-Can loud bar hurt an unborn baby’s hearing (we met up with my brother-in-law and his future wife the night they got engaged at a hip little bar and a few days later I started to worry about the noise level. Mmmmmk.)
– Can wearing tight clothing hurt unborn baby? (All my clothes are tight.)
– Can dog lightly jumping on belly hurt unborn baby?
– Is it safe to use a hot water bottle during pregnancy? (I literally was afraid I had cooked the baby inadvertently by putting a hot water bottle on my left butt cheek for 15 minutes to help with nerve/joint pain. Yeah okay.)
– Safe to bend over quickly during pregnancy? Can a uterus bend or fold in half? (Wha?!)
– Safe to inhale secondhand smoke for a short time during pregnancy (THIS drives me nuts everyday, since I have to walk by the smokers into some of my buildings. I try to hold my breath but somehow it still hits me like a wall and manages to make my hair smell bad. And don’t even get my started on my own freaking family! One night this weekend when I was home for Christmas I was so upset that I left my aunt’s house, as she continues to smoke cigarettes in rooms close to me, thinking nothing of it. I’m still livid.)
– Which preservatives are dangerous to unborn babies? (A girlfriend told me a few months back that calcium proponiate, which is found in many breads, is dangerous. Super.)
– Is Imodium safe during pregnancy? (I took a half of a pill for diarrhea at about 11 weeks, not even thinking, then panicked. I googled it a billion times, finally called my doctor and he said don’t worry about it.)
– Small amount of alcohol/tequila ingested at 7 weeks pregnant (Margarita-gate)
-Is it safe to hold breath for short time during pregnancy (I’ve realized over the years that sometimes I just hold my breath not even realizing it. It’s for maybe 10 seconds at the most, but I worked myself up into thinking I cut off the baby’s oxygen supply causing permanent damage)
-dangerous to have laptop on lap during pregnancy?
-Safe to use Sally Hansen cream bleach during pregnancy? (I’ve got dark hair, what can I say? I bleached my stache at about 8 or 9 weeks, not even thinking, started to panic about this weeks later, and haven’t even done it since. But I’m sure it’s not even a big deal. My friend with 2 kids said she Nair-ed hers during both pregnancies; surely the bleach can’t be any worse.)
– Safe to go to the dentist during pregnancy?
And the latest!!!!!……..
-Herbs during pregnancy. Is herbal tea safe during pregnancy? Safety of panax ginseng, chamomile, and/or valerian root during pregnancy. (Look, I’m not taking any herbal supplements, BUT, I drink a lot of Arizona Stress Rx Decaf Herbal Iced Tea. It comes in a big old jug and you buy it at the grocery store. My husband has always been a fan of their Green Tea, but I liked the decaf now and then, and have pretty much stuck to decaf during this pregnancy to avoid the caffeine. I thought I was doing a good thing! But recently I noticed the “herbal” part on the label, and decided to read the ingredients. Now, I’m sure the amount of “herbs” in this tea are MINIMAL; they’re the last ingredients on the list after decaf black and green tea, sugar, etc. My husband says it’s more or less a marketing ploy, if anything. And it says right on the bottle that it’s a food, not a drug. But now I’m a little worried. When you google any of those herbs being used during pregnancy, the consensus is they’re a no-no, especially the valerian root. However, I’m not drinking straight up valerian root tea, or taking a whole capsule of it. I’m sure it’s fine. It better be fine!)
Now that I’ve gotten a little bit of that psychosis out in the open, I’m going to try to let these fears go. (Except that last one, still gotta ask the doctor. Haha.)
In other news, I had my 19 week anatomy scan yesterday (19w1d). It’s still a girl! Everything looked good. I can’t believe the detail they can get with even 2d sonography these days. We saw every single internal organ, all the tiny bones, we could even see the pulmonary valve flapping away in that little 4-chamber heart. Very cool. The tech did flip on the 3d for a minute, and just as she did, baby C turned and smooshed her face into the placenta like a pillow. She just doesn’t want to show her face! Can’t wait til about 26 weeks or so, to go back to that Elective 3D place and hopefully get a good look at that mug. I’ll be impatiently waiting.